Durham Government: Accident Resource Guide

Durham Government Services

As you navigate life after your automobile accident, even if you have an attorney handling your case, it may be useful to understand what government services are available in the Durham area. If the person driving the vehicle who hit you was given a citation for the accident, you may be asked to attend the court date to provide testimony. The police department may be an important resource regarding your accident report as well the North Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles. Further, if you are disabled as a result of your accident, you should know what services are available to you.

The information provided on this page could prove very important to your personal injury claim. Links to each government service’s website have been provided, as well as pertinent contact information. If you have not spoken with a personal injury attorney about your accident, you may consider calling an attorney┬áin your area.

Durham County Courthouse

510 South Dillard Street
Durham, NC 27701
Phone: 919-808-3000 (Administration)

You may be asked to appear in court for charges filed against the at-fault driver in your accident. If you wish to file civil charges without the aid of an attorney, you may have to interact with the Clerk of Superior Court.

Court Contacts

Durham County Sheriff's Office

510 South Dillard Street
Durham, NC 27701
Phone: (919) 560-0897

If someone from the sheriff’s office responds to the scene of your accident, they may write your accident report. You may have to contact the Records Department to obtain a copy of your report. The Sheriff’s Office is located inside the courthouse building.

Sheriff's Office Website

Durham County Library

300 N. Roxboro St.
Durham, NC 27701
Phone: (919) 560-0100

The Durham County Library has multiple locations and may prove to be a resource for information related to your car accident and subsequent recovery. You may also wish to utilize their collection of leisure books and movies while you heal from your injuries.

Durham County Library

U.S. Post Office

323 E Chapel Hill St, Durham, NC 27701
Phone: (919) 683-1188

55 TW Alexander Dr, Durham, NC 27709
Phone: (919) 420-5230

3710 Shannon Rd, Durham, NC 27707
Phone: (919) 321-4538

1801 Fayetteville St, Durham, NC 27707
Phone: (919) 530-7261

1100 N Miami Blvd, Durham, NC 27703
Phone: (919) 321-4510

US Post Office

Durham Police Department

505 W Chapel Hill Street
Durham, NC 27701
Phone: (919) 560-4322

The Police Department may be able to help you locate your accident report if it was written by a police officer. You may be contacted by the department if criminal charges have been filed against the at-fault driver in the accident or if you are involved in a wrongful death case.

Durham Police Department


Phone: (919) 715-7000

Contact the DMV if you wish to obtain your accident report. You may submit form and pay fees in person at:

DMV Headquarters
1100 New Bern Ave.
Raleigh, NC 27697

Or mail a money order or personal check for $5.00 to:

N.C. DMV Traffic Records Section
3105 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-3105

You may also contact the DMV to procure your driving record.

NC DMV Website

Durham County EMS

402 Stadium Dr
Durham, NC 27704
Phone: (919) 560-8285

Contact Durham County EMS if you wish to obtain a copy of your itemized billing statement and medical records.

Durham County EMS

Durham Fire Department

2008 E Club Boulevard
Durham, NC 27704
Phone: (919) 560-4242

The Fire Department may provide emergency medical services to you after an accident.

Disability Services

NC Department of Health and Human Services
2001 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-2001
Phone: (919) 855-4800

After an accident, you may be partially or permanently disabled in some capacity. To determine if you are eligible for disability services, contact Disability Determination Services through the Department of Health and Human Services at: http://dds.its.state.nc.us/

Disability Services

Department of Transportation

101 City Hall Plaza
Durham, NC 27701
Phone: (919) 560-4366

Visit this website for all things related to public transportation in Durham, North Carolina. If you would like further information about transportation after your car is damaged in an accident, please see: https://wallacepierce.com/durham-transportation/

Dept of Transportation

Office of the County Attorney

200 East Main Street
2nd Floor, Old Courthouse
Durham, NC 27701
Phone: (919) 560-0715

If your accident involved a vehicle owned by Durham County, then the Office of the County Attorney may communicate with you or your lawyer regarding your medical expenses and injuries.

County Attorney Website

NC State Highway Patrol

Troop C Headquarters
1831 Blue Ridge Road
Raleigh, NC 27607
Phone: (919) 733-7952

A NC State Trooper may respond to the scene of your accident. If you wish to obtain your accident report, use the online search tool at the link provided.

Highway Patrol Reports
Tap to call: (855) 264-8616