Accident in NC

ravennyc161

Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:47 pm

Hello,

I was hit by a teenager back in May who was texting while at the wheel. This accident resulted in my car being totaled, lots of back pain and a broken arm, and the cancelling of my vacation I had planned to go to the NC beach. I live in NY and would like to handle this on my own if I am able. However, in NY, the insurance company considers the entire amount of medical expenses, not just what my health insurance paid. Can you help me understand how NC does this differently?

Thank you for your help.

Raven

Richard Dingus

Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:06 am

Hi Raven,

This is a common question we receive from car accident victims in North Carolina. Our laws regarding personal injury compensation are very specific about what kinds of expenses are reimbursable. Unlike New York, in North Carolina, auto insurance companies only consider paid medical expenses, meaning the amount paid for your accident-related medical treatment by you, your health insurance, or what is still owed as a balance or lien.

I would recommend checking out our in-depth article on Bill vs Paid. I would also recommend presenting your medical expenses to the insurance company as the total amounts billed. Please note, however, the insurance company may require itemized billing statements that reflect any and all payments, adjustments, and write-offs. If you still have questions after reading our article on the topic, we recommend contacting an experienced personal injury attorney near you Lawyer Locator.

Thanks, and I hope this helped!
Richard Dingus
Attorney and Counselor at Law

• Durham • Raleigh • Greensboro

We aim to be your best option for finding a Raleigh injury lawyer, Durham injury lawyer, or Greensboro injury lawyer.

IMPORTANT: Attorney's response to the posted topic or question is based and related to only those facts originally provided by the user, and as such is not intended or meant as a complete response to the posted topic. We recommend that you obtain a complete explanation of your legal needs by (1) consulting with a lawyer licensed to practice in your jurisdiction after (2) thoroughly explaining your case and (3) allowing the lawyer to research the relevant law in order to render a complete and accurate opinion related to your legal needs. This information, and all information provided, is intended only as an academic discussion of the law in North Carolina. We recommend that you consult with a lawyer licensed in your jurisdiction before taking any action. All information in this general forum is available for public view, possibly including the opposing party or counsel, and is not intended to create an attorney/client relationship with any individual. All information provided is for informational purposes only.

• Information