Is my Health Insurance entitled to reimbursement?

Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 11:19 am

Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:37 am

I was slammed into by a driving texting on their cellphone 8 months ago. I recently settled my case after completing a few months of treatment including physical therapy. My health insurance plan, BCBS, has all along been sending notices that if I recover from the accident, some of that may be due to them for reimbursement. Yesterday, I got their final number and a list of all the charges they are asking for reimbursement for and I see a few items that I don't believe should be there. While i was getting phsyical therapy for my back for the accident, i also had a sports injury about 3 months ago that required physical therapy on my shoulder. I got this done with the same doctor but it is not related to the injuries i got from the car accident. How do I contest these charges?

Thank you,

Richard Dingus
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:48 am

Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:10 am

Thanks for the post, and great question.

In order to contest charges for treatments that are not related to injuries sustained in your car accident, you should first contact your health insurance company and let them know about the dispute. A point of contact should be listed on the letter explaining your health insurance final claim for reimbursement. Furthermore, you will want to make a copy of the listed charges and mark through (strike) those charges that you feel are not related. You will also need to attach an explanation as to why each date of treatment is not related to the accident. Be sure to forward the information to the point of contact previously mentioned above.

Finally, if your health insurance refuses to remove the disputed charges, it may be a good idea to have your doctor write an explanation as to the reason for your medical treatment.

Thanks again for the post, and I hope this helped.
Richard Dingus
Attorney and Counselor at Law

• Durham • Raleigh • Greensboro

We aim to be your best option for finding a Raleigh injury lawyer, Durham injury lawyer, or Greensboro injury lawyer.

IMPORTANT: Attorney's response to the posted topic or question is based and related to only those facts originally provided by the user, and as such is not intended or meant as a complete response to the posted topic. We recommend that you obtain a complete explanation of your legal needs by (1) consulting with a lawyer licensed to practice in your jurisdiction after (2) thoroughly explaining your case and (3) allowing the lawyer to research the relevant law in order to render a complete and accurate opinion related to your legal needs. This information, and all information provided, is intended only as an academic discussion of the law in North Carolina. We recommend that you consult with a lawyer licensed in your jurisdiction before taking any action. All information in this general forum is available for public view, possibly including the opposing party or counsel, and is not intended to create an attorney/client relationship with any individual. All information provided is for informational purposes only.

Post Reply
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest