Unrelated Lab Work Charges at ER

Guagisto333

Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:02 am

My wife was in an accident and was taken to the ER by ambulance. We have gotten the bills and see there are some charges for some lab work that they did that is technically unrelated (pregnancy test prior to xrays and some blood work to verify her lightheadedness was not due to low blood sugar). I am about to send the bills and records to the adjuster but I am wondering if the adjuster should reimburse these?

Thanks,
Mike

Richard Dingus

Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:43 am

Mike,

Great question and thank you for the post.

The simple answer to your question is that the insurance company generally would not likely be liable for those medical expenses not directly related to the accident. However, some tests are typical whenever being admitted to the emergency room. Pregnancy and low blood sugar tests could be those typically ran when being admitted to the hospital, especially for a female who will need x-rays and has diabetes.

With this being said, the insurance adjuster may still make these cuts to your wife's hospital bills. Due to the complicated issues surrounding your wife's treatment, you may want to contact a Personal Injury Attorney near you.

We wish you and your wife luck. I hope this helped.
Richard Dingus
Attorney and Counselor at Law

• Durham • Raleigh • Greensboro

We aim to be your best option for finding a Raleigh injury lawyer, Durham injury lawyer, or Greensboro injury lawyer.

IMPORTANT: Attorney's response to the posted topic or question is based and related to only those facts originally provided by the user, and as such is not intended or meant as a complete response to the posted topic. We recommend that you obtain a complete explanation of your legal needs by (1) consulting with a lawyer licensed to practice in your jurisdiction after (2) thoroughly explaining your case and (3) allowing the lawyer to research the relevant law in order to render a complete and accurate opinion related to your legal needs. This information, and all information provided, is intended only as an academic discussion of the law in North Carolina. We recommend that you consult with a lawyer licensed in your jurisdiction before taking any action. All information in this general forum is available for public view, possibly including the opposing party or counsel, and is not intended to create an attorney/client relationship with any individual. All information provided is for informational purposes only.

• Information