Does adjuster need all my records for minimum limits?

Cyberedev382

Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:51 am

Hi,
I was involved in an accident about a year ago that resulted in three surgeries and an array of MRIs and xrays as well as physical therapy. I have not gotten all of my medical records yet but I have Bluecross Blue Shield and they have already paid over $80,000. The insurance company already told me their driver has a minimum limits policy and my own insurance company has been calling me to collect bills under my underinsured motorists and medpay coverages. Should I still wait until I have EVERYTHINGtogether to send to the insurance company of the guy who hit me or can i send a partial collection? i have had so much stuff done that I am worried it is going to take forever. BCBS did not cover everything and I am paying monthly payments to the hospital and ive been working less due to being out and having tons of appointments so i would like to get this moving along.

thank you,
Devon

Richard Dingus

Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:51 pm

Devon,

Thanks for the post, and we are sorry to hear about your accident.

Typically, it is best to gather all bills and records and then send them to the at-fault party's insurance carrier. By doing so, you ensure that all of your damages will be considered. With this being said, I would contact the adjuster directly and ask if he/she will require all the bills and records. With minimum policy limit claims, an adjuster may be willing to provide a policy limits offer with just the bills and certain pages from your medical records, such as the diagnosis page from the initial Emergency Room visit or Surgery notes.

However, it is important to note that you will likely want to collect all of your bills and records for when you present your claim to your underinsured motorist coverage. Depending on your set policy limits, it will likely be advantageous for you to include all your medical bills and records, as they will receive a deduction for the payment made by the at-fault party's liability insurance. Please feel free to visit our Underinsured Motorist Coverage page for more information as to how the coverage works.

Thanks again for the post, and I hope this helps.
Richard Dingus
Attorney and Counselor at Law

• Durham • Raleigh • Greensboro

We aim to be your best option for finding a Raleigh injury lawyer, Durham injury lawyer, or Greensboro injury lawyer.

IMPORTANT: Attorney's response to the posted topic or question is based and related to only those facts originally provided by the user, and as such is not intended or meant as a complete response to the posted topic. We recommend that you obtain a complete explanation of your legal needs by (1) consulting with a lawyer licensed to practice in your jurisdiction after (2) thoroughly explaining your case and (3) allowing the lawyer to research the relevant law in order to render a complete and accurate opinion related to your legal needs. This information, and all information provided, is intended only as an academic discussion of the law in North Carolina. We recommend that you consult with a lawyer licensed in your jurisdiction before taking any action. All information in this general forum is available for public view, possibly including the opposing party or counsel, and is not intended to create an attorney/client relationship with any individual. All information provided is for informational purposes only.

• Information