How often should the insurance company be called?

lifterem499

Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:25 pm

Hi. I was hit back in May and I hired another lawyer office to handle my case. They told me they sent a demand to the insurance company back on November 12th but they said they have not heard back with an offer. They keep telling me it can take 90 days to get an initial offer but this seems ridiculous because the insurance company was willing to make me an offer the week after I was hit. Shouldn't the lawyer be calling the insurance company every day until they get a response? I dont understand what is taking so long.

Thanks,
Emory

Richard Dingus

Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:04 am

Emory,

Thanks for the post.

Generally, once an attorney is hired, an insurance adjuster will take a much longer time to come back with their initial offer. This is partially due to the fact that a demand package is involved, which can be somewhat cumbersome for an adjuster to review.

With this being said, once a demand package is sent, you are typically better off allowing the process to run its natural course. By having your attorney call daily or even weekly and provide a sense of desperation on the client's behalf. The sense of desperation can negatively impact your settlement, as an adjuster may be more inclined to off a lower settlement in the belief that you, the client, are desperate for cash or will to settle quickly. Therefore, it is almost never a good idea to continuously call the adjuster to check the status of the initial offer.

Thanks again for the post, and I hope this helped!
Richard Dingus
Attorney and Counselor at Law

• Durham • Raleigh • Greensboro

We aim to be your best option for finding a Raleigh injury lawyer, Durham injury lawyer, or Greensboro injury lawyer.

IMPORTANT: Attorney's response to the posted topic or question is based and related to only those facts originally provided by the user, and as such is not intended or meant as a complete response to the posted topic. We recommend that you obtain a complete explanation of your legal needs by (1) consulting with a lawyer licensed to practice in your jurisdiction after (2) thoroughly explaining your case and (3) allowing the lawyer to research the relevant law in order to render a complete and accurate opinion related to your legal needs. This information, and all information provided, is intended only as an academic discussion of the law in North Carolina. We recommend that you consult with a lawyer licensed in your jurisdiction before taking any action. All information in this general forum is available for public view, possibly including the opposing party or counsel, and is not intended to create an attorney/client relationship with any individual. All information provided is for informational purposes only.

• Information