Can Medicaid take my settlement?

dorifull944

Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:06 pm

I was in a car wreck two months ago on Thursday and I went to see the doctor on the day of the accident because I had a lot of pain in my hand. It turns out I broke my hand and had to have surgery. Luckily I have Medicaid so I didnt have to pay anything but now Medicaid wants to take my money from my personal injury case with the lawyer. Is Medicaid allowed to do that? Just take my money that I deserve for my accident?

Richard Dingus

Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:25 am

Thank you for the post, and great question.

If Medicaid has paid for medical expenses on your behalf that was related to injuries sustained in a motor vehicle accident, then Medicaid will likely be entitled to some form of reimbursement. Medicaid is typically entitled to up to one-third of your total settlement. Therefore, if you receive a $3,000.00 settlement from the at-fault insurance company, medicaid would be able to receive up to $1,000.00 of your settlement proceeds. Please note, however, that Medicaid will only be entitled to the amount paid on your behalf. Therefore, if medicaid paid less than a third, they will be reimbursed in full but limited to the amount paid.

For more information on Medicaid liens/reimbursements, please visit our article entitled Medicaid Liens and How they May Affect Your Recovery.

Thanks again, and I hope this helped!
Richard Dingus
Attorney and Counselor at Law

• Durham • Raleigh • Greensboro

We aim to be your best option for finding a Raleigh injury lawyer, Durham injury lawyer, or Greensboro injury lawyer.

IMPORTANT: Attorney's response to the posted topic or question is based and related to only those facts originally provided by the user, and as such is not intended or meant as a complete response to the posted topic. We recommend that you obtain a complete explanation of your legal needs by (1) consulting with a lawyer licensed to practice in your jurisdiction after (2) thoroughly explaining your case and (3) allowing the lawyer to research the relevant law in order to render a complete and accurate opinion related to your legal needs. This information, and all information provided, is intended only as an academic discussion of the law in North Carolina. We recommend that you consult with a lawyer licensed in your jurisdiction before taking any action. All information in this general forum is available for public view, possibly including the opposing party or counsel, and is not intended to create an attorney/client relationship with any individual. All information provided is for informational purposes only.

• Information