I Wasn't Wearing a Seatbelt

burntastway93

Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:44 am

Hey. I was a passenger in a car t-boned on Glenwood Avenue a few weeks ago and was taken by ambulance to WakeMed ER. I got my records from the ambulance and the hospital to provide to the insurance company but Im concerned about something in my records. I was not wearing a seatbelt at the time and this is noted in 2 different places in my ambulance records. One place it says "unrestrained passenger" and in another, it says "patient not wearing seatbelt at time of impact." Will the insurance company have a problem with this? I'm worried they won't reimburse my ER bills because of this.

Thank you for your help,
Tim

Richard Dingus

Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:21 am

Tim,

Fantastic question, and thanks for the post.

In North Carolina you can be issued a fine for not wearing a seat belt in a motor vehicle per NC General Statute § 20-135.2A. However, subsection (d) of the statute is clear that failure to wear your seat belt cannot be used against you in any civil case. Therefore, the insurance company cannot deny your claim for not wearing your seat belt, nor should it affect them covering those reasonable and necessary medical expenses associated with the injuries sustained in the accident.

Thanks again for the post, and good luck!
Richard Dingus
Attorney and Counselor at Law

• Durham • Raleigh • Greensboro

We aim to be your best option for finding a Raleigh injury lawyer, Durham injury lawyer, or Greensboro injury lawyer.

IMPORTANT: Attorney's response to the posted topic or question is based and related to only those facts originally provided by the user, and as such is not intended or meant as a complete response to the posted topic. We recommend that you obtain a complete explanation of your legal needs by (1) consulting with a lawyer licensed to practice in your jurisdiction after (2) thoroughly explaining your case and (3) allowing the lawyer to research the relevant law in order to render a complete and accurate opinion related to your legal needs. This information, and all information provided, is intended only as an academic discussion of the law in North Carolina. We recommend that you consult with a lawyer licensed in your jurisdiction before taking any action. All information in this general forum is available for public view, possibly including the opposing party or counsel, and is not intended to create an attorney/client relationship with any individual. All information provided is for informational purposes only.

• Information