Self insured

buzzfecter

Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:43 am

I noticed that on my my car accident report that the other driver's insurance information says "self insured." Does this mean they dont have insurance?

Richard Dingus

Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:06 am

This is a problem that arises quite frequently, so I am glad you asked.

Typically, large companies or local municipalities/states own "self-insured" vehicles. Simply put, self-insured means that the company owning the vehicle funds and handles their own insurance coverage. If the vehicle is owned by an individual or company, then insurance coverage is likely available. However, if a municipality owns the insured vehicle, insurance coverage may not be available due to immunity.

Therefore, it is important that you contact the business or municipality to see if insurance is available.

Thanks again for the question, and I hope this helped!
Richard Dingus
Attorney and Counselor at Law

• Durham • Raleigh • Greensboro

We aim to be your best option for finding a Raleigh injury lawyer, Durham injury lawyer, or Greensboro injury lawyer.

IMPORTANT: Attorney's response to the posted topic or question is based and related to only those facts originally provided by the user, and as such is not intended or meant as a complete response to the posted topic. We recommend that you obtain a complete explanation of your legal needs by (1) consulting with a lawyer licensed to practice in your jurisdiction after (2) thoroughly explaining your case and (3) allowing the lawyer to research the relevant law in order to render a complete and accurate opinion related to your legal needs. This information, and all information provided, is intended only as an academic discussion of the law in North Carolina. We recommend that you consult with a lawyer licensed in your jurisdiction before taking any action. All information in this general forum is available for public view, possibly including the opposing party or counsel, and is not intended to create an attorney/client relationship with any individual. All information provided is for informational purposes only.

• Information