Billed Vs Paid - Collection Adjustment

bouviant3453

Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:12 am

Hi,

I'm a new legal assistant at a PI firm and have been calculating client's total billed vs paid numbers for the attorney. I came across a radiology bill that had a total charge of $157 with a patient payment of $20 and an adjustment of $137. The adjustment doesn't have any classification but since the client does not have health-insurance, I thought it was a charity discount. However, the client had brought me a few of their own bills and I saw a bill from a collection agency for this $137 amount.

Am I correct to say this is still counted in the "paid" numbers because they client does still owe it? How can I support this in the demand since the radiology bill clearly looks like $137 was totally written off instead of sent to a collection agency?

Thank you for any advice you can provide!
Bonnie

Richard Dingus

Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:07 am

Bonnie,

Thank you for the post and great question!

Unfortunately, medical provider bills do not have much uniformity. With that being said, when a balance is sent to collections it is not uncommon for the bill to show an adjustment. If you find that the adjustment is made where the balance has been sent to collections, then you are absolutely right in counting the adjustment as "paid" per Rule 414.

In order to support your claim, simply include the bill from the collection agency showing the balance or have the collection agency put the balance in writing. Collection agencies are in business to collect unpaid balances; therefore, they are generally more than willing to put the balance in writing with an itemization of the original bill.

Thanks again for the question, and I hope this helped!
Richard Dingus
Attorney and Counselor at Law

• Durham • Raleigh • Greensboro

We aim to be your best option for finding a Raleigh injury lawyer, Durham injury lawyer, or Greensboro injury lawyer.

IMPORTANT: Attorney's response to the posted topic or question is based and related to only those facts originally provided by the user, and as such is not intended or meant as a complete response to the posted topic. We recommend that you obtain a complete explanation of your legal needs by (1) consulting with a lawyer licensed to practice in your jurisdiction after (2) thoroughly explaining your case and (3) allowing the lawyer to research the relevant law in order to render a complete and accurate opinion related to your legal needs. This information, and all information provided, is intended only as an academic discussion of the law in North Carolina. We recommend that you consult with a lawyer licensed in your jurisdiction before taking any action. All information in this general forum is available for public view, possibly including the opposing party or counsel, and is not intended to create an attorney/client relationship with any individual. All information provided is for informational purposes only.

• Information