Can I get a copy of my recorded statement?

Glauntee

Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:34 pm

Hi, I am hoping you can help me.

I was rear-ended a couple weeks ago and the insurance company took a recorded statement about what happened. I would like to get a copy of that because I am probably going to hire an attorney as the adjuster keeps telling me it was "minimal impact" and I should be fully healed.

How do I get a copy of this statement?

Thanks,

Laura

Richard Dingus

Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:19 am

Laura,

Thank you for the post, and great question.

Typically, you are able to get a copy of your own recorded statement. Sometimes, it is as simple as calling the adjuster who is handling your claim and asking for a copy. However, I feel the better practice is to request a copy formally in writing. By doing so, you not only document the request, but you also show the adjuster that you are serious about wanting a copy. I have included a template below:

[Insurance Company]
Attn: [Adjuster’s Name]
[Address]
[City, State, Zip]

Re: Recorded Statement
Claim Number:
Date of Accident:

To Whom It May Concern:

As you are aware, I was involved in an accident with one of your policyholders. I have referenced the claim number and date of accident above.

On [Date of Recorded Statement], I provided a recorded statement to one of your team members wherein I answered several questions involving the surrounding circumstances of the accident. I respectfully request that you send me a copy of the audio recording and/or written transcript of my recorded statement.

Thank you for your attention to this matter. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me at [telephone number].

Sincerely,

[Name]

With this being said, an adjuster may wrongly include your recorded statement as a part of “the file,” generally known as work product. When this occurs, the adjuster may be unwilling to provide you with a copy of your own recorded statement. If this occurs, you may want to speak with a personal injury attorney in your local jurisdiction.

Thanks again for the post, and I hope this helped!
Richard Dingus
Attorney and Counselor at Law

• Durham • Raleigh • Greensboro

We aim to be your best option for finding a Raleigh injury lawyer, Durham injury lawyer, or Greensboro injury lawyer.

IMPORTANT: Attorney's response to the posted topic or question is based and related to only those facts originally provided by the user, and as such is not intended or meant as a complete response to the posted topic. We recommend that you obtain a complete explanation of your legal needs by (1) consulting with a lawyer licensed to practice in your jurisdiction after (2) thoroughly explaining your case and (3) allowing the lawyer to research the relevant law in order to render a complete and accurate opinion related to your legal needs. This information, and all information provided, is intended only as an academic discussion of the law in North Carolina. We recommend that you consult with a lawyer licensed in your jurisdiction before taking any action. All information in this general forum is available for public view, possibly including the opposing party or counsel, and is not intended to create an attorney/client relationship with any individual. All information provided is for informational purposes only.

• Information