Prior medical history

massity

Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:15 pm

What do I do if the insurance adjuster is asking me to get copies of my medical records from 2 years before my car accident? I had some serious health problems during those two years and I don't want to share some really personal life information with the insurance company, which I feel like they should understand.

Thank you for your help with this.
Matt

Richard Dingus

Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:36 am

Matt,

Unfortunately, insurance adjusters will sometimes require or request prior medical records to evaluate your potential bodily injury claim. Generally, this problem arises when medical records indicate that you may have suffered a similar type injury or have had an injury to the same bodily region previously. When this is the case, insurance companies are within their right to request prior medical history.

With this being said, you still may not have to disclose every unrelated past treatment for the requested time frame. For instance, the adjuster may only be needing prior medicals from a certain medical provider or facility. Therefore, it is important that you ask questions and try to determine the reasoning behind the insurance adjuster’s request.

Lastly, if there are sensitive matters in your medical records in which you are uncomfortable sharing, you can always consider not including (redacting) those medical records. Please note, however, that most medical facilities make notations of your prior medical history; therefore, the adjuster may already be aware of your prior health problems.

Claims can become complicated when insurance companies request prior medical history. Therefore, you may want to speak to a personal injury attorney in your local jurisdiction. Please feel free to use our Lawyer Locator Service to find and attorney who can help.

Thank again for the post, and please do not hesitate to contact us with any other questions or concerns that you may have!
Richard Dingus
Attorney and Counselor at Law

• Durham • Raleigh • Greensboro

We aim to be your best option for finding a Raleigh injury lawyer, Durham injury lawyer, or Greensboro injury lawyer.

IMPORTANT: Attorney's response to the posted topic or question is based and related to only those facts originally provided by the user, and as such is not intended or meant as a complete response to the posted topic. We recommend that you obtain a complete explanation of your legal needs by (1) consulting with a lawyer licensed to practice in your jurisdiction after (2) thoroughly explaining your case and (3) allowing the lawyer to research the relevant law in order to render a complete and accurate opinion related to your legal needs. This information, and all information provided, is intended only as an academic discussion of the law in North Carolina. We recommend that you consult with a lawyer licensed in your jurisdiction before taking any action. All information in this general forum is available for public view, possibly including the opposing party or counsel, and is not intended to create an attorney/client relationship with any individual. All information provided is for informational purposes only.

• Information