Paying the lawyer

purplefar527

Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:46 am

Hi, I am wondering how it would work if I hired a lawyer for my car accident. I got hurt and went to the doctor so I know I owe them money but how would I pay the lawyer to take care of it? I don't have a lot of money right now because I lost my job after the car accident since I couldn't work. I feel like lawyers are really expensive but I think I need one to help me with this. Thanks.

Jared Pierce

Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:33 am

I have some good news for you! Most personal injury lawyers represent accident victims on a contingency basis. This means that the lawyer does not receive any money from you upfront. However, the lawyer receives an agreed upon percentage of your total settlement.

Considering that it will not likely cost you any money upfront, you should be able to find and hire a lawyer fairly easily. It is important to note that a percentage based contingency fee may mean that the lawyer receives a significant portion of your settlement award. Please make sure you understand exactly what you are agreeing to when you find and hire a lawyer.

Our office has create an attorney's fee calculator to assist accident victims in getting a better sense of how much the lawyer will actually be getting from your settlement award. Visit Attorney Fee Calculator to determine how much of your settlement your lawyer will receive.
Jared W. Pierce
Attorney and Counselor at Law

• Durham • Raleigh • Greensboro

We aim to be your best option for finding a Raleigh injury lawyer, Durham injury lawyer, or Greensboro injury lawyer.

IMPORTANT: Attorney response to the posted topic or question is based and related to only those facts originally provided by the user and as such is not intended or meant as a complete response to the posted topic. We recommend that you obtain a complete explanation of your legal needs by (1) consulting with a lawyer licensed to practice in your jurisdiction after (2) thoroughly explaining your case and (3) allowing the lawyer to research the relevant law to render a complete and accurate opinion related to your legal needs. This information and all information provided is intended as an academic discussion of the law in North Carolina. We recommend that you consult with a lawyer licensed in your jurisdiction before taking any action. All information in this general forum is available for public view, possibly including the opposing party or counsel, and is not intended to create an attorney/client relationship with any individual. All information provided is for informational purposes only.

• Information