Medical payments

Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:29 pm

Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:11 pm

Who is the insurance company sending me Medical Payments money to? They said they can't send it straight to me, because the law says it has to go to someone else - I think a doctor. I paid for this coverage on my policy. Why are they keeping it from me?

User avatar
Jared Pierce
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:25 am
Location: Durham, North Carolina

Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:20 am

Thank you for your question! This is possibly one of the most complicated questions for accident victims to deal with. First, MedPay or medical payments coverage is a quasi-health insurance that provides coverage for those reasonable and necessary medical expenses after a car accident. It is important to understand that MedPay provides you coverage for medical expenses incurred for medical treatment but this does not always mean that the insurance company will want to send the money directly to you.

If the medical provider who treats your accident-related injury perfects their medical lien, or if you have Medicare or Medicaid (for example), the insurance company will likely refrain from sending you the MedPay check. This is because your medical provider or your health insurance may have an interest attached to the MedPay because of the medical treatment.

While this explanation is oversimplifying the question, it is important to remember that part of your settlement and even your MedPay may have to go to your medical providers or your health insurance under something called 'subrogation.'

This is exactly why personal injury lawyers focus on doing two things in a car accident case: (1) getting the best outcome possible and (2) trying to ensure that the client gets to keep more of their own money by negotiating with lien holders.

For more information about MedPay visit our MedPay in North Carolina articles.

For more information about Liens and Subrogation in North Carolina visit our Liens and Subrogation Overview article.

Best of Luck!
Jared W. Pierce
Attorney and Counselor at Law

• Durham • Raleigh • Greensboro

We aim to be your best option for finding a Raleigh injury lawyer, Durham injury lawyer, or Greensboro injury lawyer.

IMPORTANT: Attorney response to the posted topic or question is based and related to only those facts originally provided by the user and as such is not intended or meant as a complete response to the posted topic. We recommend that you obtain a complete explanation of your legal needs by (1) consulting with a lawyer licensed to practice in your jurisdiction after (2) thoroughly explaining your case and (3) allowing the lawyer to research the relevant law to render a complete and accurate opinion related to your legal needs. This information and all information provided is intended as an academic discussion of the law in North Carolina. We recommend that you consult with a lawyer licensed in your jurisdiction before taking any action. All information in this general forum is available for public view, possibly including the opposing party or counsel, and is not intended to create an attorney/client relationship with any individual. All information provided is for informational purposes only.

Post Reply
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests