What happens if the insurance company offers policy limits?

Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 2:23 pm

Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:36 am

Hello. My name is Ian and I was in a bad accident several weeks ago where I was in the hospital a few nights and suffered injuries that included two broken bones, bruised ribs, and chest contusions. I logged into my online billing account for the hospital and saw that my bills are nearly $55k!! However, yesterday, the insurance called me and told me they were offering me $30,000 and that it was the max limits of the policy. Should I open a claim with my own car insurance? Will they even provide coverage?

Any help is much appreciated!!

Richard Dingus
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:48 am

Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:30 am


We are terribly sorry to hear about your accident, and wish you a speedy recovery.

To answer your question, yes - you should open a claim with your own insurance policy. You may be provided with more coverage if your policy includes Underinsured Motorist Coverage (UIM). Your insurance company will likely need a "Tendered Policy Limits" letter from the at-fault insurance company before they will be willing to consider the claim.

Furthermore, you may be provided coverage from policies other than your own. Be sure to check all insurance policies of those who live with you to see if underinsured motorist coverage is included their policies as well.

For more information pertaining to available coverages, please feel free to visit our Insurance Coverage Section and our MedPay Coverage Section.

Thanks again for the post, and I hope this helped.
Richard Dingus
Attorney and Counselor at Law

• Durham • Raleigh • Greensboro

We aim to be your best option for finding a Raleigh injury lawyer, Durham injury lawyer, or Greensboro injury lawyer.

IMPORTANT: Attorney's response to the posted topic or question is based and related to only those facts originally provided by the user, and as such is not intended or meant as a complete response to the posted topic. We recommend that you obtain a complete explanation of your legal needs by (1) consulting with a lawyer licensed to practice in your jurisdiction after (2) thoroughly explaining your case and (3) allowing the lawyer to research the relevant law in order to render a complete and accurate opinion related to your legal needs. This information, and all information provided, is intended only as an academic discussion of the law in North Carolina. We recommend that you consult with a lawyer licensed in your jurisdiction before taking any action. All information in this general forum is available for public view, possibly including the opposing party or counsel, and is not intended to create an attorney/client relationship with any individual. All information provided is for informational purposes only.

Post Reply
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest